Thursday, October 14, 2010

Getting Serious

In commenting on a blog today about getting serious about weight loss, I confronted one of my own demons: laziness. I'm going to throw it out there right now - I hate getting up at 5am to go to the gym, regardless of how great it makes me feel. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. I hate dragging my fat ass out of bed, I hate still being half asleep when I get there, I hate when everyone's cheerful to me at the gym at 5:30am. The time for cheerful to kick in should be about 8am. Not 5:30am. (Hey, just being honest here).

So, is my dislike for the gym at 5:30am what's hindering me from losing weight? Partly, but we all know the real culprit here is food. I love sweets. Any kind, really. There was a time in the not so distant past when my husband and I would have a milkshake .....EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. We've both got the worst sweet-tooth. I love all things sweet, cakey, chocolatey, gooey, caramely, etc. (And yes, I know I just made up several words just then). The thing I have to harness in is not my love of those kinds of food, but my WILLINGNESS TO EAT them every single day. I am always going to love such things, that's just part of who I am. However, they aren't called "treats" for nothing. Once or twice a week with an extra couple of workouts seems reasonable to me. Who says fruit can't cure a sweet-tooth when presented properly?

Anyway, I commented on Shannon's blog (Even A Pig Knows When They've Had Enough) about how I'm going to start incorporating workouts into the MIDDLE of my day. I'm an in-home childcare provider. Naptime comes just after lunchtime and lasts about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. There is aboslutely NO reason I can't fit a workout in during that time period. Yes, it's normally a time when I do cleaning, catch up on paperwork for our online business (see the "Fun Beyond Driven" link above), or other domestic duties - including screwing around on Facebook and watching DVR'd episodes of Hoarders. But In the scheme of a day, 2 hours is a long time. I can do all of that (and then some! HA!).

So that's the plan. I'm going to rock it today.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a morning exerciser at all. I tried it a couple times and I will enver try it again, it just feels like I dont' have any "ghusto" in the morning. I like to walk in the house after work and just work out right away and get it over with. Noon time is just ok, but after work is best for me. What ever works best for you, as long as you do some type of activity during your day your "A" ok!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola