Thursday, June 2, 2011

Guest Post: Jessie Talks About The First Rule of Weight Watchers (and coming out of the WW closet)

You've missed me, haven't you?  I knew it!  I'll be back soon with a recap of my travels and some reflections on the topic.  In the meantime, I'm bringing you a guest post from Jessie - who blogs over at A Last Confession.   She's a big source of support to me and without her, I don't know if I'd be working as hard as I have been lately.  Sit back and relax - you're in for a treat.  And be sure to head over to her blog and check her out.  I swear that you won't be disappointed - she's a great writer.

*****************************************************************************

The first rule of Weight Watchers is: Don't Talk About Weight Watchers.

What? That's not the first rule? I have it confused with Fight Club? Are you sure?

Let me explain. I'm not new to this whole weight loss thing. I've been on and off of Weight Watchers many, many times over the past ten years. I kept it a secret from everyone except my immediate family because I was ashamed. I was overweight, unhealthy, and I didn't want anyone to know that I needed help. That once a week (or more, if it was a rough week), I sat in a room full of men and women who all had issues with food. That once a week, I stepped on a scale to measure my progress. I also didn't want people to know about my Weight Watching because if they knew that I was “dieting,” they would watch my progress.

They would be aware of my failure.

And fail, I did. I'd lose some weight, and then leap back into the arms of my pals Ben & Jerry. (Have you tasted their Bonnaroo Buzz? I swear they made it just for me, to try to woo me back). And because no one knew I was on Weight Watchers, no one was there to support me, remind me of my goals, or take the pint of ice cream away from me. I didn't give them a chance to support me.

I re-joined Weight Watchers in November 2010, and I swore this time would be different. And it has been. Not just because this is the first time I reached my 10% goal. Not just because I've started to exercise and I kind of like it. Nope. There's something much bigger, and more important, that has made this time different. And, I suspect, it will ensure that this will be the last time I join Weight Watchers. It will ensure that I will make my goals of losing the weight, and getting healthy.

Ready for the secret?

I tell people that I'm on Weight Watchers. I ask for help and support. And, most importantly, I listen. I take advice. Easy, right?

In real life, I don't hide my Weight Watchers journey. My family knows about it and supports me. My friends know. I got to the point where I realized that if my friends have a problem with my desire to be healthy, they're not really my friends. No one has made fun of me, or said anything negative. When I'm struggling, I let them know. They're all very encouraging, and remind me of my goals when I want to sit on the couch with a pint of Bonnaroo Buzz (seriously, it's magical, and I'd marry it if I could). 

My main network of support comes from Twitter. I was one of those people who didn't “get” Twitter, but decided to give it a try on a whim. I'm so, so grateful that I did. I met other folks out there who are on the same journey to health that I am. Some are on Weight Watchers, some are on different plans, and that's fine with me. We all face similar challenges. And even if we can't relate to something someone is going through, we can still support them. Give them virtual high-fives for their accomplishment, and a “you can do it” when they feel that they can't. I'm inspired every day by the people that I follow. 

Ultimately, this is all up to me. I know that. I control what I eat, my exercise, and how well I follow the program. No one else can do that for me. But people can be my cheerleaders, drill sergeant, amateur therapist, or whatever else I need at the moment. All I need to do is pick up the phone and call, text, or tweet.
So, please, whether you are struggling or succeeding at your weight loss journey, don't hide. Share your successes and inspire others. And if you need help, just ask for it. You just might get what you need.


*******************************************************
Update - since composing this post for me to use while I was on vacation (I totally forgot to post it!) Jessie has reached her 25 pounds lost milestone at Weight Watchers!  Great job, Jessie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola