Saturday, September 24, 2011

First 5k Race Recap

39:45

I wonder if I'll ever forget that number.  I couldn't believe that number was mine and mine alone at the end of today's race. I ran 3.18 miles in under 40 minutes. Me.  Colleen.  I did that.

I started my morning early - I couldn't sleep any longer.  After laying in bed awake until after 1am, I woke up around 5:30 and stayed up.  I headed to my YMCA (where the race was scheduled to start) after about an hour of me saying to myself, "What have I gotten myself into?"  I got there, checked in, got my swag (a new gym bag and a Subway gift card! Score!) and then headed home to get my family.  My mother-in-law came over to cheer me on.  My husband was getting our girls ready to see me off.

And I was nervous as hell. 

On the way back to get everyone, I drove the course.  I thought, "This seems a hell of a lot longer than 3.18 miles.  Surely they've made a mistake."  They hadn't.

So everyone loaded up and we took off to the race's start point.  I stretched, pinned my number to my shirt (stomach or boobs?  I decided to pin my in my general stomach area).  I hoped and prayed I wouldn't come in last.  I wanted to vomit.  Instead, I headed to the starting line.  And then....

I started.

A few minutes in, I saw my family drive away (they were headed back home so the girls could eat a quick breakfast & then were going to meet me at the finish line).  Then it was truly me and the road.  I was going at a decent, steady pace.  I normally run on a paved trail in the park so navigating the side of a road/street was a little trickier.  I got used to it and just kept going.  A mile in I said to myself, "I want to quit.  I don't want to do this running."  But then I saw a checkpoint where we were to cross a street and it was Dee from the Y.  She's a truly wonderful person.  She cheered me on and then I thought, "Hell yes.  I can do this.  Push past the want to quit."  And I did.

I ran/jogged the whole race with the exception of the two times I stopped for a brief walk of about 50 yards each.  As I got closer to the finish line (I found it incredibly cool that the course took me almost past my own front door), I found myself thinking, "Already?  Seriously?  I can't be almost done!"

I jogged up a BIG hill.  I rounded the corner and I saw it...The Finish Line.  In that moment tears formed in my eyes and the following thought ran through my head - I am a RUNNER.  And another thought - "Where are my people?"  I couldn't see any of my people anywhere.

And when I crossed the finish line and heard "39:45" I knew why - I'd told my husband to get there about 45 minutes after I started the race.  I laughed & called him.  They were on their way & he was disappointed he missed me.....but I was ok with that because I finished MUCH earlier than my goal. 

When he got there he snapped this anyway:



My girls kept telling me how proud they were of me.  Aron congratulated me, and my mother-in-law cheered for me to. 


I never thought I could do this.  Ever.  And I did it.

I am living proof that even a woman who is still 60 pounds overweight and who 7 weeks ago couldn't run for 39 seconds let alone 39 minutes can make herself strong enough to run a 5k....

My father's been gone for 10 years now.  I kind of think he'd be proud of me.  And for the record, this is the FIRST competitive sports-like thing I have done IN MY LIFE.  Even as a kid, I never did anything competitively athletic. 

I tweeted my time & texted it to some friends and the love literally poured in.  I can not thank all of you enough for all the support you've shown me.  It's overwhelming and completely amazing.  My 7 year old has told me all day how proud she is of me.  But the best thing I heard her say today?  "Mom, I want to run of of those with you someday!"

My next 5k will be the Run The 'Hood Virtual 5k on 10/22!!

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing!!! What a fantastic time too. I did my first 5k in the Spring and the feeling of actually doing it is something that will stay with you forever, and yes!.. you will always remember that time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola