Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why Saturday's 5k Race Scares The Crap Out Of Me

So you've heard me talk before about my very first 5k race that I've got coming up, right?  When I took the plunge and signed up for it, it was a thought, you know - just something that was coming up.  Well now it's almost here and I confess:  I'm scared to death.

Mostly I'm scared that I'll be running in the daylight..  Up until now, it's been the very rare occasion that I've run in the daylight.  I usually always head to the park well before dawn and the only people I meet along my way are the regulars who walk their dogs every day, The Weights Lady (who walks with reflective hand weights) and Portable CD Player Lady (a nice old lady who brings with her a portable cd player and big headphones....and she's SO happy!).  But on Saturday (for those of you not strong in math, that's only 4 days away) I will be running in the daylight, with other humans.  And when I cross the finish line (and I WILL be crossing the finish line), my family will be there. 

Yes, in some ways I'm still that 10 year old girl scared of what other people will think of me.  In my head I'm just sure that someone will say to me, "Still a bit fat to be running a race aren't you?"  I'm afraid, also, that I'll get hurt or freeze up.

But I've got to start somewhere, and this is where I'm starting.  Saturday is technically Week 7/Day 3 of the C25K program for me, but that's ok.  I'm going to do the best job I can possibly do.  I am going to set the bar that I'll try to beat in future races...because I have a sneaking suspicion that after I have this one under my belt, I'm going to want to do a whole lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola