Sunday, November 21, 2010

Preparing for the Calorie Apocalypse

Thanksgiving will be on Thursday for those of us in the United States and traditionally that means a LOT of eating. My family is 98% vegetarian (meaning we're primarily vegetarian but fall off the wagon 2% of the time). So we don't go balls-out and make a huge turkey. For me there are only 3 things I need to make it a Thanksgiving dinner: stuffing, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.

My mother-in-law joins us for Thanksgiving dinner every year and it's usually just our little family and her. She LOVES to cook and because she lives by herself, she usually likes to cook enough to feed about 820 people on an occasion like this.

This year, however, I have a plan! She volunteered to bring the apple salad. Awesome! I told her should could also bring the bread (my 6 year old chose biscuits). I was going to make pecan pie (my husband's favorite) and pumpkin pie (my favorite). That seemed like too much temptation, so we decided to ask Aron's mom to bring her world-famous (well, it should be) pumpkin roll.

My 6 year old also picked my homemade mac and cheese. So, we're having a carb-fest for Thanksgiving this year: Mac and cheese, stuffing, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, biscuits, and pumpkin roll. My plan is to eat a LITTLE of all these things.

Also in my plan is to go light the rest of the week to make up for the indulgences of so many carbs. I'm also planning an additional trip to the gym or two.

How will you tackle Thanksgiving this year? For our friends in other countries - how do you tackle food-driven holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola