Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trigger Foods

I've read a lot about how important it is to figure out what your trigger foods are and then avoid them. After the past two weeks having one day out of the week be a total self loathefest (I just totally made up that word), I've got a little insight into my trigger foods and I can't tell you I'm surprised (because of what they are) or happy (because I need to avoid them for a while).

Sweets and Pasta. When I have either I just want to have more. And more. And more. And more. I'm not past that yet and I know it'll be a while before I am. The only way I'm safe around these foods is if I make ONE portion and there are no more available. If there is leftover pasta, I will eat it (even if it's cold). If there are leftover brownies, I will eat them. Leftover cake? I'll eat it. I'm not at that "self control" place yet.

I know I'll get there but at least I've got the foresight to know that that's just not where I am yet.

Do you have foods that trigger you to binge?

5 comments:

  1. For me McDonalds is a trigger. Especially a quarter-pounder with cheese. One or two bites and I crave eating a couple burgers. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese, in every incarnation. I am doing very well with my eating and exercise, but still, I don't know if I am at a place where I can have a block of cheese in the house and not binge on the entire thing. To combat cheese cravings, I will occasionally buy a single stick of string cheese while I am grocery shopping - other than that, though, I just can't handle it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my trigger is definitely cookies - or anything sweet. I could also eat a TON of pasta. I still eat my foods - I've learned to modify the recipes and make sure they are not left out. I'm less likely to pick them up if they are wrapped up individually and put away in a container. I used to leave freshly baked cookies out on the counter. Not anymore.
    On the pasta front, have you tried tofu shiritake noodles? I make them for myself every once in a while when I want fettuccini alfredo. Hungry Girl has many great recipes using them and when preparing them right (that's the key), they taste really yummy. Fettuccini for under 150 calories? I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine - rice crispy treats. Don't get between me and a batch of them. You may lose a limb. Seriously, it's dangerous. I try to avoid them.

    And any form of fried potato. I might as well adhere them straight to my rear end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made this discovery. Mine are chocolate, pasta, and, believe it or not, bologna.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola