Thursday, May 12, 2011

Battle of The Cheese Wedges: Weight Watchers Brand vs. The Laughing Cow Brand

Ask anyone who knows even just a little about me and they'll all tell you my favorite food is....say it with me....CHEESE!  I love just about every kind of cheese, except the stinky/moldy kind.  I knew when I started my journey to healthier living that my relationship with cheese was going to have to change.  Seriously, and I'm not proud of this - but I could sit and eat an ENTIRE block of sharp cheddar cheese.  All of it.  I freaking love it that much.  World's best snack?  Cheese & crackers.  Best way to jazz up just about any recipe?  Add cheese.  Favorite pizza topping?  Extra cheese.

The problem is that if you don't moderate your intake of cheese or any food, really - your body will rebel.  Food is meant to be consumed in moderation, not in entire blocks of cheese.  So, I cut back some and then discovered these spreadable cheese wedges.  They're great melted in pasta (thank you, Hungry Girl, for the idea!) if you're a mac & cheese type (seriously?  Who isn't a mac & cheese type?) and they're absolutely wonderful spread on to a Bagel Thin for breakfast.

But which brand is better?  Weight Watchers, or Laughing Cow?  Read on, and find out what I think!

Weight Watchers Brand
Judging from the research I did, the Weight Watchers brand of spreadable cheese wedges come in several delicious-sounding flavors:  Original Swiss, Parmesan Peppercorn, Jalapeno Pepper, and Garlic and Herb.  My local supermarket (a large multi-tasking store type chain) carries only the Original Swiss and Jalapeno Pepper varieties.  They are both very good, have a mild flavor and are spreadable as the package suggests.  They come with six in a package and at my particular supermarket cost $2.68 per package.  All varieties are 1 PointsPlus per cheese wedge. I really enjoy them.




The Laughing Cow Brand
According to their website, The Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges come in a host of different flavors: Original Creamy Swiss, Light Creamy Swiss, Light Garlic & Herb, Light French Onion (my personal fav), Light Queso Fresco and Chipolte, Light Blue cheese, and Light Mozzarella w/ Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil.  Seriously, they sound fantastic, right?  Well, my supermarket (keep in mind, my town's population hovers somewhere near 7,500) only carries The Original Creamy Swiss, Light Creamy Swiss, Light French Onion and occasionally the Light Mozzarella w/ Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil.  I have tried all but the latter, and they're really all fantastic.  I have taken a particular shine to the Light French Onion.  It is incredible spread on a piece of toast with a fried egg over top.  Or spread on to 12 baked cheese crackers.  I double checked the nutrition stats for all of their varieties (even the Original Creamy Swiss) and all varieties of this product are also 1 PointsPlus on the Weight Watchers system.  I adore this product....all of the varieties I have chosen have been excellent.  In my supermarket, they retail for $2.98 per package.



So which would I recommend?  I will, from now on go with The Laughing Cow brand.  Although the cost is higher, The Laughing Cow brand comes with 8 wedges to a container.  Each wedge of The Laughing Cow brand is 21grams.  Each wedge of the Weight Watchers brand?  Only 19 grams.


For me, one wedge of the LC brand (which is 2 grams larger than the WW brand) costs around 37 cents.  Each wedge of the WW brand costs around 45 cents. Each package of the WW brand contains 114 grams of cheese.  Each package of The Laughing Cow brand contains 168 grams of cheese.  I'm no math whiz, but that means The Laughing Cow brand cheese wedges contain 54 grams more of cheese than their WW counterpart.

Sometimes, folks, it's all about the math.  These cheese wedges are an awesome way to curb cheese cravings and can be used in so many different ways - melted into scrambled eggs, as a topping for a bagel, melted into hot cooked pasta, as a topping for crackers, spread on to vegetables.....they are very versatile.  But for my money?  I'll be going for The Laughing Cow from now on.




**** Disclaimer:  I was not compensated for this review in any way.  These are all my own personal opinions.  So there!

3 comments:

  1. Great review! Thanks! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, have to agree with you... Laughing Cow all the way! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also saw the Hungry Girl episode when she talked Laughing Cow and the noodles she melted it in were the Tofu Shirataki noodles. The noodles are 20 cal per serving (2 servings per pack), so a whole pack is only 40 calories. They come in angel hair, spaghetti, fettucini, and now macaroni. 1 wedge melted into 1 pack of the noodles and you have a 75 calorie bowl of alfredo/cheesy pasta goodness which I've tried and it really tastes good! If you prefer it a little more cheesy, you can add another wedge and still have a 110 calorie, decent size bowl of pasta.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Check me out on Twitter (@OnwardColleen) and come back often! As always - feel free to email me any time! reinventingcolleen@att.net

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola